Skyfall (2012)

I must say, I'm not really a Bond girl. Well doooh becky!!.... I meant, I'm not much of a fan of the Bond movies. If it's out, well I do like to watch it. But if you asked me now, the previous Bond's movies, I couldn't really recall the stories. Although I always liked the Bond's theme songs. Some of my favorites were Shirley Bassey's "Goldfinger" & "Diamonds Are Forever",  Nancy Sinatra's "You Only Live Twice",  Paul McCartney's "Live and Let Die", Tina Turner's "GoldenEye", Garbage's "The World Is Not Enough", Jack White & Alicia Keys's "another way to die".
And then, Adele released her new single for the Bond Movie. And then I just had to watch it.  

Well, as an opening words to review SKYFALL. Sam Mendes put his dramatic touch of style really nice. I heard some people don't like it, some does. I think, the people who were not fond of this version of bond film, Skyfall, are the ones who like to see more action in the movie. And as for Mendes, who are known for his past dramatic films, gave a different touch to the Bond film. We see more dramatic words and personality for the characters; the relationships between 007 and M, and between 007, M and the villain.
Other than that, we see dramatic visual that were offered by cinematographer, Roger Deakins, who often worked with Mendes also. We see the fightings in a darker mood and between backlights.
I guess, one of the reasons Mendes was signed to do the job was to brought up the dramatic side of the movie. Well, I don't want to spoil the ending, but there are characters in the film that need that moment of drama to highlight the story.

Another thing that I love from the film, is the opening credit using Adele's theme song. It was graphically edited nicely!

Also, Javier Bardem played the villain really nice. He transformed into a character where we could see that he had so much trauma in his life and we see why he became the "bad-ass" in the story. He add gestures that surprises me.

So for me, I really like the movie. For 2.5 hours film, It's not boring at all.
And there's a quote that M read in the movie, which interested me.

Quoting Tennyson's poem Ulysses: 
"Though much is taken, much abides; and though .
We are not now that strength which in old days 
Moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are... 
One equal temper of heroic hearts, 
Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will 
To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield."

Comments

Popular Posts